My Flickr feed

www.flickr.com

Tuesday 12 June 2012

Street Snippets - The 'Big 5'

'Street Snippets' are going to be short articles on technique, exercise and tips etc.

The 'Big 5' is something that came to me quite early on and is inspired by the 'Big 5' animals most difficult to hunt on foot in Africa. In our more animal loving times they are also the 5 animals everyone wants to tick off their list on an African safari. My wife and I were lucky enough to manage this feat in 2008, although my favourite animal was the humble warthog and he doesn't make the list.

To save you googling it the 'Big 5' are elephant, rhinoceros, Cape buffalo, lion and leopard.

My suggestion is to establish your own personal 'Big 5' for street photography, the key is to make it something that stimulates you.


My first 5 were:

  • Union (Jack) flag - When I started late last year you'd occasionally see it on hats, scarfs, shoes etc, it became far to common once the Jubilee and Olympic hype started to take hold.
  • Redheads - Gingers are the marmite of hair colours and I think they make for nice images.
  • Ear muffs - It was winter when I started so there were quite a few about.
  • Letters of the alphabet - i.e. the 'P' on a parking meter, I only have 'L' and 'P' so 24 to go.
  • Earphones - A surprising amount of design variety and often make for interesting image.


You'll find when you're out and about that something will strike you as interesting, could be tattoos, piercings, sunglasses, thigh length boots, mock stockings or anything, choose 5 that stimulate you the most.

The great thing is that once you have them lying dormant in your head, you'll be walking around looking for interesting people and you're eye will catch one of your 5 in the crowd and you'll be overcome with the need to make the shot. Your nervousness and fear will just drop away and for that few seconds your whole world will revolve around capturing that image.

If you get it, you'll be rewarded with elation.

Failure will not feel so good but at least you'll have your first 'one that got away story', feel free to let me know about it.



If you like the post please click on the share buttons below, it's quick and easy.

No comments:

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips